brooksisadork

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

An Introduction: Why David Brooks is a Dork

This blog is motivated by two convictions. The first is a formal or structural one. I believe that the blog, as a form, is most effective where it is tightly focused on a subject about which the blogger is either knowledgeable or holds pronounced and well-thought-out opinions. With this in mind, I have let myself be prompted by my second conviction, one which I hold deeply and to which I have devoted much reflection: that David G. Brooks, conservative op-ed columnist for the New York Times, is a dork. This blog will be devoted to making fun of the columns of the eminently ridiculous Brooks. I will try to respond to each of Brooks's columns as they are loosed upon the aether. Today, to inaugurate our blog, an initial stab, in response to Brooks's painfully error-riddled piece in today's Times, "Cult of Death"...