brooksisadork

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Onward Christian Soldiers


A floating church on Lake Tonle Sap, Cambodia. Posted by Hello

So I was watching CNN yesterday, content=more bloviating about the new Pope, and some berobed padre was yabbering about how one issue for the Church is expansion in the 3rd World, because everywhere that Christianity comes into contact with Islam, Islam is winning.

I don't know what the stats are on this, if in fact there are any stats, but this flies in the face of what I've seen in the 3rd World. In West Africa and here in Southeast Asia, it seems to me that everywhere Christianity and Islam come into contact, Islam is having its ass handed to it on a silver platter. My impression is that while Islam is expanding in sheer numbers, that's chiefly a function of the birthrate: pumping out Muslim babies. Whereas, if you're talking evangelism, Christianity is unequalled, unparalleled, and unrivalled.

Not that I approve of any of this; I feel that religion, in general, can be a positive thing, as long as people don't actually believe in it. But as a purely intellectual query: who's winning? Christianity or Islam? Anybody know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home